Spousal Maintenance

Fighting for Your Future

Attorney James L. English, P.C. Serves Colorado Springs and Surrounding Communities

Without experienced legal representation, divorce can destroy your standard of living and financial resources. I will fight for your future in divorce negotiations and proceedings by working to secure a fair spousal maintenance decree or alimony agreement.

Many of my clients have a home and a parenting lifestyle that needs to be maintained for their children. Others have given up jobs or careers in order to be supportive of their spouse or be a stay-at-home parent. In Colorado, either the wife or the husband can be eligible for spousal support, often used as a temporary transitional tool to help a spouse ease into post-divorce life.

Call me at 719-602-5662 to discuss your circumstances and concerns regarding spousal maintenance. You can also contact me online.

The amount and duration of alimony/spousal support is dependent on a variety of factors, including:

  • Length of the marriage
  • Disparity of the income between the parties
  • Age of the parties
  • Health of the parties
  • Whether one spouse has given up employment opportunity to further marriage (i.e. stayed home with the kids)

If you're a member of the military or a spouse of a member of the military, call me to discuss the unique aspects of military divorce and related spousal maintenance issues. I have substantial experience helping members of military families attain favorable alimony agreements.

Spousal maintenance comes in several different forms:

  • Temporary: pending the outcome of the case, this transitional form of alimony may last just a few months.
  • Rehabilitative maintenance: often awarded in marriages of medium or short duration, in which one spouse was at home with the children and is now reentering the job market. Rehabilitative support has a specific time limit.
  • Permanent: this support lasts until the death of the receiving spouse or until remarriage. Often pertains to older couples married for a long period of time, where it is less likely a spouse will be able to reenter the work force.

Call me, Attorney James L. English, P.C., at 719-602-5662 to schedule an appointment with an experienced spousal maintenance lawyer. You can also contact me online.